Thursday 5 May 2011

Don't(s)

Don't stand there...



and don't use the word eccentric.



Here’s a word I loathe – eccentric. Eccentric is a word that boring people use to describe someone I think of as interesting. A great many people think of me as eccentric simply because when I have my shoes polished, I have the entire shoe polished – top, sides and soles. Some people think it eccentric that every morning I have my maid iron my money. When I told Truman I had my maid iron my money, you know what he said? Here’s what he didn’t say – ‘How eccentric.’ Here’s what he did say – ‘How wonderful.’ You can forgive a person a lot who really enjoys you. - Diana Vreeland (played by Juliet Stevenson) character in Infamous (2006)





Now playing: Hot Chip - Ready For The Floor

5 comments:

Barima said...

She had the irritable schoolmarm vox down pat, alright. I actually watched the film a few weeks ago; strongly acted and produced, really

An excellent quote, however; to many of today's humans, the word "eccentric" is currently as difficult to parse as "dandy," "decorum," "you're/your" and "tasteful"

BON

Lucindaville said...

There is a wonderful passage in André Leon Talley's book about visiting DV. He is sitting there and crosses his legs and DV sees the soles of his shoes which are OMG Not Polished. She takes him to task for such a poor appearance. I loved it.

Jill said...

OCD...

Renée Finberg said...

what's wrong with ironing money?
all the better for the soda machines!

and i think of these people as interesting too!

thank you so much for the comment this morning xxx

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

I have been known to keep money in between piles of heavy books to flatten it but I've never ironed it. But then I don't own an iron.

You've reminded me I haven't seen Infamous yet and after reading Lucindaville's comment I must also order Andre Leon Talley's book xx